Friday, June 30, 2006

The kitchen table...the epicenter of our homes. The place where we talk, ponder, write, think,read,wonder, draw, create, laugh, tell, yell, whisper, giggle, kiss, hug, cry, remember.....and yes, eat. I acquire old kitchen tables. They seem to follow me home. There they become sewing tables, craft areas, coffee tables, potting benches, and all around catch-all tables. The irony is that I have no kitchen table in my kitchen. Instead I have the modern interpretation...a melamine covered hunk in the middle of the floor. It can't be dragged closer to the window for a better view of the garden or moved against the wall to make an impromptu dance floor. It holds no secrets...no junk drawer full of forgotten objects. No child can wriggle underneath and make a fort, or write their name upside down. And so I make do with my collection of cast-offs. Some from tag sales and thrift stores. Some rescued from the side of the road. All evoke a memory of sitting around the kitchen table cluttered by fabulous kitsch....salt and pepper shakers, depression glass, funky planters, loud linens, truly tacky cookbooks, homemade treasures...and feeling fabulously at home among it all. So, c'mon. Pull up a funky chair to my kitschen table, choose a cup (how about cobalt Moderntone or do you prefer gray Russell Wright today?) pour yourself a cup of coffee and let's have ourselves a well deserved chat.

3 comments:

rorschach said...

Just used my own kitchen table for the first time in a while yesterday, for dinner with a friend. Chicken in a spicy red sauce, and lychee martinis...

the kitschen table said...

Wow! My first comment! Great to hear from you!!!

Andrea Frazer said...

I would love to join your kitchen table. I don't have one due to a small 1958 kitchen - our kitchen nook is huuuuuge so we use it as a tv room and eat in the dining room. If I had my druthers though? A vintage icecream set with four heart chairs. Perhaps you can pick one up for me and stick it in the van you just got hit in. Ooooh, so sorry and hope you feel better soon.