Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Kitschen TableBAD MOMMY

Okay...so, I don't get it. When we lived in the city, I used to volunteer at school, take my kid to the school playground, run the book fair, and attend every function. I religiously went to book fairs and plays and open houses where I ooohed and ahhhhed over essays and art tacked to the hallway walls. I felt like an involved parent.

Now in the burbs, I'm considered a real slacker. My kids come home from school and do their homework. I do not hover over them. I figure it is their job and they better learn how to do it on their own. Not to say I never help, but I try to let them figure stuff out for themselves. I should have known I was in trouble when another mom cornered me at our local dairy and asked how I felt about the "quality "of the homework coming home....it was 1st grade!!!! Some of the parents out here seem to consider volunteering at school to be a vocation. And the little snipes at us less active parents are pretty glaring....' oh...is this the first time you've stepped up to the plate?"

Tonight is open house at my 15 year olds high school. From 7 til 9:30 we are expected to attend class like our child for 15 minute sessions. Doesn't this seem a little much? I'm considering playing hooky!

3 comments:

Teri M. said...

I'm so lame that I actually FORGOT Open House. I found the little flyer under a pile of bills on my desk about 10 days after it happened. Can you say "felt like an idiot"? ::sigh::
BUT I do know that didn't expect us to sit through any fake class. That seems a bit much.

the kitschen table said...

Thank you!!!! The piles of paper in my house are rivaled only by the piles of junk![and books and material] I can so relate to your comment. I have missed more than one party because of a lost and then found too late invite. Funny, people don't take too kindly to that!
j

Andrea Frazer said...

I think all this insane parent involvement is crap. CRAP! I'm all for volunteering here and there (I teach Sunday school for example) but I don't feel the need to explain my husband's, or my absence, at every school function. You have to do the best you can, but you owe nobody anything. It's your child, not the mother's who's head is so far up her kid's ass she can see his prostate's" kid, that counts. I hate parent competition and won't play that game. Hang in.